Now the Democratic governor of Montana has signed into law an incredible attempt to erode the power of the Federal Government as it applies to gun laws. Let me just lay it out from the bill:
A personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Montana and that remains within the borders of Montana is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of congress to regulate interstate commerce...
What this functionally means is that items that the federal government loves to regulate and prohibit: handguns, silencers, ammunition, scopes and so on - would be perfectly legal in Montana and exempt from requirements to engage the Federal framework of registration.
Montana’s argument is sound - those items which are made in Montana for use in Montana are not being involved in “interstate commerce.” That small clause of the constitution which lies at the heart of many federal laws, including drug laws, alcohol laws, transportation laws and firearms laws among other things is being directly challenged by this legislation. (continue at Zeal For Truth)
I love it. Other states should follow Montana's lead. A commenter at Zeal For Truth, Glen California, provides this:
How will the federal government react?
Can this type action be used for things other than guns? What about California marijuana, grown and smoked inside California???
Read the full Bill at ATV, where I found this:
For some find reading, check out the following winning articles from the Watcher of Weasels Council:
Congratulations go out to all the winning entries. Remember, keep your head up, your eyes wide open and your keyboards clicking. Please share these great articles with all your fans!!
Winning Council Submissions
- First place with 2 1/3 points! - Wolf Howling - Waiting For The Iranian Shoe To Drop
- Second place with 1 2/3 points - Bookworm Room - Predators and Prey
- Third place with 1 1/3 points - (T*) - Right Truth - More Dangerous Than Al-Qaeda: Liberals and Sharia
- Third place with 1 1/3 points - (T*) - Mere Rhetoric - UC Santa Barbara Professor Spams Class With Graphic “Jews Are Nazis” Email
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - The Razor - Yet More Green Hypocrisy
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - Rhymes With Right - A Hero Of My Youth Passes
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - Soccer Dad - The iranian priority
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - The Colossus of Rhodey - As yet another example of demonizing the speech of your opponent as “dangerous” …
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - The Provocateur - From President to King While the Media Yawns
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - Joshuapundit - Can The GOP Get It;s Groove Back?
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - The Glittering Eye - Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste
Winning Non-Council Submissions
- First place with 2 2/3 points! - The Augean Stables - What Do I Think of the Arab-Israeli Conflict? Answers to a Questionnaire
- Second place with 1 1/3 points - Kevin Mooney at The Washington Examiner - ACORN got $53 million in federal funds since 94, now eligible for up to $8 billion more
- Third place with 1 points - (T*) - National Journal - Twelve Points to Consider in Replacing Souter
- Third place with 1 points - (T*) - Will Wilkinson - Libertarian Democraphobia
- Third place with 1 points - (T*) - Weapons of Mass Discussion - On Specter, The GOP Big Tent, & Reagan
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - The Anchoress Online - Why “the recession is over.”
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - The Times Online - 9/11 conspiracy theories: The truth is out there…just not on the internet
- Fourth place with 2/3 points - (T*) - Gone Mild - How to Influence a Legislator (Free Version)
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - The Hill - Obama’s Economic Policy: Washington Knows Best
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - Vinny’s Rants - Of Swine, Birds and Humans
- Fifth place with 1/3 point - (T*) - Chesler Chronicles at Pajamas Media - Let Us Praise Extraordinary Activists Who Stood Against Radical Islam in Times Square.