Unbelievable that it could happen again...
NBC News reported that eight people were injured, four of them critically, and that the person who died is believed to be the gunman. Officials are still searching and clearing buildings at the post, but a military official told NBC News that the deceased shooter, identified as 34-year-old Ivan Lopez, appeared to be the only shooter despite an earlier report of two gunmen.
NBC News' Pete Williams reported that the shooter was in uniform.
The Associated Press, citing an internal memo from the Justice Department, reported that the Fort Hood shooter died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The AP also reported, citing a defense official, that as many as 14 people had been wounded in the shooting.
From Chicago, President Barack Obama stood in front of a large black curtain Wednesday evening and, with an American flag to his right, addressed the shooting at Fort Hood.
"We're following it closely. The situation is fluid right now ... I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened," Obama said. "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again."
Fort Hood officials have confirmed that a shooting occurred at the post, though the post has not confirmed the number of people injured. Fort Hood's Directorate of Emergency Services said in a news release that it had an initial report that the shooter was dead, but that the report was also unconfirmed. (continue reading, see video, DBCDFW.com)
19-year-old Akeem Cesár Martín posted this video to Instagram, which shows what people living on post heard after the shooting here at CBSDFW Local
An Update on Maj. Nidal Hasan, 2009 Fort Hood shooter:
Following his conviction and sentencing, Nidal Hasan was incarcerated at the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas to await execution. According to Chris Haug, Fort Hood's Chief of Media Relations, Hasan was also stripped of his rank and dishonorably discharged from the US Army. Hasan would only be referred to as "Inmate" while on death row. On September 5, 2013, it was reported in several news media that Hasan had his beard forcibly shaved. Fort Leavenworth authorities justified their decision by citing that Hasan would be subject to army regulations even though he had been dismissed from the Army and stripped of all ranks and pay. Despite Army regulations banning personnel from having facial hair, Hasan had begun growing a beard following the Fort Hood Shooting in 2009 by citing his religious beliefs.  Although no new photos of Hasan have been released since his incarceration, military authorities have confirmed that a video recording of the forced shaving exists, as per military regulations. In response, John Galligan, Hasan's former civilian lawyer, has planned to sue the military for violating his religious beliefs. Galligan argued that a military council in 2012 had allowed Hasan to keep his beard for the duration of the trial and dismissed the Army's actions as vindictive.
Prior to his 2013 trial and conviction, Nidal Hasan collected nearly US$300,000 in military salary. On 18 September 2013, Hasan's civil attorney Galligan disclosed that much of this sum had been donated to charity. This decision outraged several of Hasan's victims, many of whom have struggled to find jobs or pay their medical expenses since the Fort Hood shooting in October 2009. Several of these victims including retired Staff Sergeant Alono Lumsford, who testified against Hasan during the trial, have filed a lawsuit against the US government to get the Fort Hood shooting categorized as a terrorist attack rather than workplace violence. This designation would make the victims eligible for more benefits and support from the government. (Wikipedia)