August 20, 2013
What do you think will happen?
Senator Ted Cruz from Texas, a TEA Party favorite, has presented his birth certificate to the media in regards to his birth in Canada. The Idea that he is a duel citizen in Canada and the US is up in the air and he has said he will disavow his citizenship, If any, in Canada. Senator Cruzs’ Mother was a US Citizen and his Father was a Cuban Citizen.
Somehow, the Supreme Court (SCOTUS) needs to determine a legal definition of the Constitutional requirement of being a “Natural Born Citizen”. What exactly does that mean? Let us discuss this, (leaving out the still up in the air status of our current President) for just a moment.
The reason this comes into play is that the US Constitution, (Article II, Section I, paragraph 5) the bedrock of all US Laws, and the US is a Nation of Laws, The President must have met these requirements:
a. a. The attained age of 35 years.
b. b. Must have been a resident of the US for a minimum of 14 years.
c. c. Must be a “Natural Born Citizen”.
What does “Natural Born Citizen” mean:
1. A person born in the US, the offspring of 2 US Citizens?
2. A person born in the US, the offspring of 1 US Citizen and a Non-US Citizen?
3. A person born in the US, the offspring of 2 Non-US Citizens?
4. A person born in the US, the offspring of 1 or 2 non-US Citizens, Legally here.
5. A person born in the US, the offspring of 1 or 2 non-US Citizens, illegally here.
6. A person born in any country, the offspring of 2 US Citizens?
7. A person born in any country, the offspring of 1 US Citizen and a Non-US Citizen?
8. A person born in any country, but later becomes a Naturalized US Citizen.
“Born in the US” should mean a person born in the 50 United States of America, or Offspring of those US Citizens stationed outside the US on orders of the US Government and also those offspring of US Citizens born in Territories, Commonwealths and Possessions of the US.
Why does this term, “Natural Born Citizen” come into play? Obviously, the founding fathers of the United States were concerned that not just anyone in the world could become the President. Just think of it, would you want someone that’s meets the technical Constitutional requirements to be President, but has never lived here or had any “skin in the game”? No, that is why the 14 year residence requirements is in the section of the Constitution. Would you want a 18 year old to be President? I would think that a president should have some maturity and experience just being an American first before being the Leader of the Free World. The One portion of the requirements to be President, that the founding Fathers neglected to clarify in the Constitution, was a definitive definition of the term “Natural Born Citizen”.
Those 3 words, in connection with, arguably, the most important leadership role in the United States, much less the World, must be defined clearly for all of us to allow our nation to move on and no longer be concerned with this issue. Who must do that for us? I believe that the Founding Fathers already have because in the period of the writing of the Constitution, the term meant, internationally, and was widely known to be, the offspring of 2 US Citizens, born in the United States. This may be up for interpretation and really needs to be determined by the Supreme Court, sooner than later.
Why is the Status of Senator Cruz even under concern? Well, clearly, there must be some “Birthers” in the Democrat party! Prior to this, I thought that was just impossible, guess I was wrong. This is a serious problem for our nation, but something that can solved quite easily.
Personally, I believe that the term “Birther” the American people, for some reason, has accepted is inaccurate and should read something like a person who follows the Constitution, a Person who understands that the US is a Nation of Laws, and the laws of this Nation provide all of us known legal barriers that should not be crossed to insure that we conduct ourselves in a safe and Civil society.
TWO ACTIONS need to be completed.
1. The SCOTUS needs to determine, in a legal definition, the term “Natural Born Citizen”
2. A simple process where the Attorney General (AG) who is the Secretary of the Department of Justice, (DOJ) creates a panel that includes the AG, the head of the FBI (For technical verification/investigation) and 3 currently serving US Representatives and US Senators from each party running a 50 state, national presidential ticket.
Responsibility and action:
3. This panel shall insure that the birth certificate, presented in person by the candidate and attested by them as a valid copy thereof, of the Candidate for the office of the Presidency of the United States, meets all the Constitutional requirements as noted in Article II, Section I, Paragraph 5. After the Birth Certificate has been determined as being “valid” and the Party’s Candidate meets all the Constitutional requirements, the Panel shall hold a public verbal, written and electronic certification attesting to same so that every American can have faith and confidence in the electoral process.
Again, personally, with due consideration of all the other categories, I feel that we as a nation, if we must error in anything, we should error on the side of selecting a person who meets the requirements of the US Constitution, Article II, Section I, Paragraph 5, and was born in this country and the offspring of 2 US Citizens to give us the very best chance of having a President that will be committed to the United States of America and no other nation!
JON A. UNDERWOOD
CBPO, CBP, (RET.)