NEW YORK — Loved ones of the 1,100 people whose remains haven't been found since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the World Trade Center are watching with interest as more debris from the site is sifted for bone fragments and other human remains.
Since Monday, employees from New York City's Office of Chief Medical Examiner have been spending weekdays at a landfill on Staten Island sifting through construction debris from the twin towers.
Employees are searching for bone fragments and other remains from the day when two hijacked commercial jets hit the buildings, taking the lives of almost 2,800 people. This is the fourth time since the attacks that the medical examiner's office is going through debris taken from the site, now home to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
This time the search uses a new technology that, the medical examiner's office says, could help it better analyze DNA. The office did not respond to questions via phone or e-mail about details on the new technology.
So far, workers have found 53 potential human remains since Monday, according to daily e-mailed statements from Ellen Borakove, director of public affairs for the medical examiner. The sifting process is expected to continue for eight to 10 weeks, Borakove's office said. (continue at USA Today)