It was reported recently that Queen Elizabeth II is down to her last million pounds, although in fact this is a woman who has no financial worries, nor does her family. Regardless of this, the royal family is not as wealthy as it was at one time, and the British crown seems to have been in steady decline for some years now as evidenced for example by the decommissioning in 1997 of HMY (Her Majesty’s Yacht) Britannia. Not only was it a personal loss to the royal family, but as the Britannia was also intended to serve as a bomb shelter so it also served a more serious purpose.
I do suspect that the whole purpose of the articles recently published was simply to “sell newspapers,” as the old saying goes. According to a report from the (House of) Commons Public Accounts Committee the queen’s advisers have overspent to the extent that that they have had to dip into reserves. However this report was chaired by a Labour MP, and the Labour Party has historically wanted to do away with the monarchy. ON the other had a palace spokesman has claimed that the royal household since 2007 has doubled its income.
It is virtually impossible to determine who is telling the truth as both sides have reasons to support their story. However if, it is true that royal finances are in serious trouble, there may be a solution near at hand. I have written a want ad for the perfect person/s to meet their needs. In addition there is a recommendation, although among the 63 million people in the United Kingdom there may be someone else (or several someone elses) who might be suited to undertake the effort to make a financial success of the British monarchy.
• Must have experience in creating wealth.
• Must have experience and personal knowledge of turning a small amount of money into a large amount.
• Must have a track record of successful innovation and good financial management.
• Must be a conjurer who can magnify something built on smoke and mirrors into something substantial and real.
• Must be discrete.
• Must be able to discern public expectations, yet keep above the masses.
• Must not drop ‘h’s.’ (for you Americans reading this, it is a sign of a poor education/lower class individual)
• Must have a compelling reason to want this endeavor to succeed.
Hence, my nominees for this position are Michel and/or Carole Middleton. They have the experience in all of the above. They do not drop their ‘h’s’, and also have extremely compelling reasons for this endeavor to succeed – a daughter who is slated to become queen and a royal grandson who can only benefit from the application of their ingenuity and creativity to restore the Windsor family fortunes, turn a decrepit institution into something glorious again, and make Britain great again.
Long-live the Queen.